Valentine’s Day is around the corner (literally, it’s tomorrow!) and I decided to come up with this cute and super quick little treat to enjoy with my loves. We all know chocolate is synonymous with Valentine’s Day, but I love those little cherry chips and try to incorporate them in Valentine’s Day treats yearly. When planning for these treats, I knew I wanted something quick and easy, and sort of threw this delicious chocolate cherry Valentine’s Day bark together with items I already had in my pantry. Of course, you can add nuts, crushed oreos, or really anything you desire. There are no rules, and the lovely thing about making bark is that the possibilities are endless.
My little ones loved helping me make this, and they quite enjoyed spreading the sprinkles out all over the finished bark, and then cutting into it to see how it breaks apart. Store in a jar or little containers to hand out as gifts, or just place in a bowl to snack on for your sweetie.
I started with a milk chocolate base, and decided to add a little texture to it with graham cracker crumbs and toasted coconut. I was tempted to add a bit of almonds, but my kids are split on if those that like nuts and those that don’t, so I skipped it this time. Once the milk chocolate had hardened for a bit, I melted the white chocolate and spread it on top, after melting some cherry chips and stirring a few spoonfuls of the white chocolate to help thin and smooth it out just a bit.
Then we smoothed the cherry/white chocolate mixture on top and just spread it out with a butter knife, creating swirls and patterns for a festive Valentine’s Day look.
Thankfully I have quite a selection of sprinkles, so I added some sparkling silver sanding sugar, red and clear sanding sugar, along with pink and white nonpareils and pink, red and white quins in two different sizes. I like the variety of these sprinkles and the different textures they bring to each bit of bark.
Once the bark has cooled sufficiently and hardened, it’s time to cut into bark shapes. A sharp knife helps, and remember bark isn’t meant to be perfect. They come in all shapes and sizes and that’s what makes it such a pleasure to snack on!
Happy Valentine’s Day, enjoy these sweet treats with your loved ones.
- 1 cup chocolate candy melts
- 1-2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted coconut
- 1 cup white chocolate candy melts
- ¼ cup cherry chips
- 1-2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Melt the chocolate candy melts in a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl for 15 seconds at a time until smooth. Once chocolate has melted, spread onto wax paper evenly, sprinkling with graham cracker crumbs and toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set. Melt the white chocolate and cherry chips separately the same way as the chocolate. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the white chocolate candy melts to the melted cherry chips, then smooth the white chocolate over the cold chocolate. Drizzle with the melted cherry, using a butter knife or toothpick to create swirl designs.
- Sprinkle with your choice of Valentine's Day sprinkles, then refrigerate for another 20 minutes to set.
- Once the bark is completely hardened, cut with a sharp knife into the bark pieces.
Do you enjoy making Valentine’s Day sweets for the loved ones in your life?
Don’t forget to save for later by pinning the image below. Just hover over the photo and click “pin it” to save to your favorite Pinterest board.
Julie Christiansen says
This looks SO good. I especially love the little heart sprinkles… my daughter would love that! Pinned!