This ridiculously Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe utilizes rotisserie chicken, is cooked in one pot from beginning to end, and is ready in less than 30 minutes!
I feel like Chicken Tortilla Soup is the kind of soup everyone loves, even people that aren’t really soup people – if you know what I mean. This soup just has a ton of texture and flavors, without noodles or rice. In a way it’s sort of a stew because of it’s heartiness. Either way, it’s a sought after soup recipe and I’m finally sharing my version after making it and perfecting it for years.
Soup is my son Dev’s comfort food favorite, and this is top tier goodness for him. I like to mix some of the chopped cilantro into the base of the recipe with the onions and garlic, sauteeing it with the chopped jalapeno and the canned corn. I also add some of the cheese to the actual soup to thicken it up a bit, then also adding as a topping. I love picking up a Rotisserie chicken every week at Costco to use in quick meals, and it’s perfection in this soup! This recipe is ready in under 30 minutes, thanks to delicious precooked chicken!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup cilantro, chopped (divided)
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 cans fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can Ro*Tel
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups shredded chicken, skin off from Rotisserie
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup shredded cheese, sharp cheddar and pepper jack (divided)
- tortilla strips
- 1 large avocado, diced
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeños
- hot sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the onions and stir, continue to sauté until fragrant and softened a bit, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño, garlic and ½ cup of the cilantro. Stir well and continue to sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained corn and mix well, continuing to let it heat together. Stir in the seasonings, then add the tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Add the beans and shredded chicken, stir well. Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat then add lime juice and ½ cup of cheese, leaving the rest of the cheese for toppings.
- Stir well, then serve. Top with the remaining cheese and cilantro, tortilla strips and avocado.
- Add additional toppings, if desired. Enjoy!
WHAT IS HOUSEFUL OF SOUPS?
Houseful of Soups is a creation from Natasha of Houseful of Nicholes. This is our second year participating in Houseful of Soups, my first year contribution was my Lasagna Soup. I’ve enjoyed linking up with Natasha’s Houseful of Cookies and Houseful of Soups, just for all of the amazing recipes alone. I enjoy sharing some of the creations my other foodie friends create, read on for all of the goodness!
Houseful of soups 2021 Participants:
Houseful Of Nicholes – Beef Vegetable Soup
Day By Day In Our World – Chickpea Chicken Soup
Simplify Live Love – Hearty Instant Pot Hamburger Soup Whole 30 Approved
Life of a Ginger – Simply Delicious Instant Pot Clam Chowder
100 Directions – Homemade 30 Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup
Mama Harris’ Kitchen – Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
What is your top favorite comfort soup?
Do you have a favorite go-to soup? I’d love some inspiration or a challenge on a new recipe to create. Let me know in the comments, and while you’re here you can view my Amazon Store for more products that I personally use and love!
Also, if you love this recipe don’t forget to PIN it to your favorite board on Pinterest!
(Just hover over the picture below and click “Pin it”)