Special thanks to Clover Stornetta Farms for sponsoring this holiday themed recipe for Mini Whipping Cream Pound Cakes with Butter Rum Glaze. #CloverCooks
Christmas is just around the corner and I’m doing what I do best this time of year, baking up a storm! This time of year is synonymous to me for goodies of all kinds and I love the scent of fresh baked goods wafting through my home. ‘Tis the season! It’s sort of our family tradition to have fresh baked goods on hand for those unexpected guests, as well as gifting to those special people in our lives.
Next to fresh baked cookies, pound cakes are my favorite things to bake and mini pound cakes are ideal for gifting or serving to a crowd. Whipping cream pound cake is an old fashioned recipe that is based on a classic pound cake using whipping cream in the mix. There are other variants that use sour cream, yogurt, or other ingredients that change the texture and density of the cake. I love this particular variation because the taste of the cake is a bit richer, and it uses cake flour for a more delicate crumb. I added a bit of orange zest for a slight zing in flavor and created a butter rum glaze for a bit of festive holiday flair.
This recipe was created using both organic unsalted butter and organic heavy whipping from Clover Stornetta Farms. I always try to use fresh and local ingredients whenever possible, so Clover products are household staples in our home since they are located right here in Northern California. It was a special treat to find their Limited Edition 100th Anniversary Organic Eggnog, which paired perfectly with that butter rum glaze on these adorable little cakes. If you haven’t tried Clover’s Organic Eggnog I would recommend giving it a go, it’s one of the best eggnog’s I’ve ever tasted. It’s not as thick as other brands and has great flavor that’s neither bland or overpowering.
The pairing of Mini Whipping Cream Pound Cakes with Butter Rum Glaze and Clover Organic Farms Limited Edition 100th Anniversary Eggnog is perfect for your next holiday celebration!
Speaking of recipes that are a part of family tradition, you can even contribute your own favorite recipes to the Community Cookbook by sharing your pictures and recipes with the hashtag #CloverCooks on social media. You’ll also be entered to win Clover products and fun prizes (see more details at the end of this post)!
(Scroll down for recipe measurements and print options)
We’re going to start by creaming the butter and sugar together.
Then adding the eggs and extracts.
Next, we alternate adding the flour and whipping cream, then fold in the zest.
Spray the pan with a quality baking spray, then add the mixture evenly to each cavity in the pan.
We’ll be baking these babies for 20-23 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when it’s inserted into the center of the cakes.
Let the cakes cool in the pan for a few minutes before flipping them over and cooling completely on racks.
As the cakes cool, it’s time to prepare the glaze. Melt the butter and add the rum while cooking in a small saucepan over low heat. After a few minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, milk and water, mixing until smooth.
Drizzle the glaze over the cakes ones they’re cool and top with a few sugared berries.
These are best served with delicious egg nog. Enjoy!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Clover Organic Farms Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1½ cup cake flour
- ½ cup Clover Organic Farms Heavy Whipping Cream, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- zest of one small orange
- 3 tablespoons Clover Organic Farms Unsalted Butter
- 1½ tablespoon rum
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the butter to a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer on low until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and continue to beat together.
- Slowly add the eggs, continuing to beat the mixture after adding each egg.
- Add the extracts.
- Add the flour and whipping cream, alternating a bit at a time of each. Continue to mix on low, just until blended.
- Fold in the zest.
- Prepare the mini bundt pan by spraying with a quality baking spray.
- Add the cake mixture evenly into each cavity of the pan. Allow to bake for about 20-23 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Allow pan to cool for a few minutes, then flip the pan over on top of cooling racks to let the cakes cool.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the glaze by melting the butter and adding the rum while cooking over low. Let them cook together for a few minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Add the powdered sugar, the milk and water and mix until smooth.
- Gently spoon the glaze over the cooled cakes once the glaze has reached room temperature. Spoon around the tallest part of the cakes in a circular motion, allowing the glaze to drizzle down the cake.
- Top with sugared berries, if desired.
- Serve with egg nog and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite ways to celebrate this holiday season?
For more recipe inspiration, check out more family traditions here. You can follow along with Clover on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and tag them in your own #clovercooks creations.